Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Quite Possibly the Worst Rap Song Ever?

During my last post you will recall I was watching one of Fuse's top video shows and caught a terrible cover of "Kiss Me" by Six Pence None the Richer. To really add insult to injury what immediately followed that video happened to be the video below. . . which in turn became a catalyst for me making this blog.

Soulja Boy - "Crank That (Soulja Boy)"



Now I don't really listen to all that much rap / hip hop music but I thought rap was supposed to be about sick beats , awesome lyrics and delivery. This really doesn't have any of the above. I knew things were getting bad on the hip hop side of music just as much as the rock side but wow. I think this quite possibly the worst rap song I've ever heard.


The whole song sounds like a bunch of random samples put together. It's very confusing. Each sentence seems to be cut off with "whoah's" and "you's", and you keep thinking the song is gonna go one way and then another. After two minutes or so of the same thing it becomes pretty disorienting.

In most bad hip hop usually there is just really weak lyrics and bad rhyming (i.e. 50 cent) but they've found away to get beyond that. In this song they barely even have sentences that rhyme together and when they do it's just kind of odd.

For example:

"Yes I Crank It Everyday
Haterz Get Mad Cuz
I Got Me Some Bathin Apes"

(Unfortunately I found out "bathing apes" was a type of shoe so this line actually makes sense)

Well here is another exampe:

"Soulja boy, I'm the man
They be looking at my neck
Saying it's the rubber band man (man)
Watch me do it (watch me do it)
Dance (dance)"

After watching it for a while I didn't really understand what was going on anymore. I guess that's the point. I wondered what went through the artist's and producer's heads when they made this. I tried to find some interviews or anything that might give me a clue but I came up empty. All I could find was Soulja Boy's website which had the most advertising on it I think I've ever seen. Well I guess that's a clue right there. . .

No comments: